By John Turney
They are made by Nike and they are called "the Nike Elite 51 Uniform". They are purported to have technological advantages that make them more flexible and comfortable for players.
According to a Nike website the Elite 51 uniform features—
- LIGHTER - The Nike jersey and pant, wet or dry are lighter than previous versions
- FLYWIRE TECHNOLOGY - Eliminates layers, reduces weight, and provides lockdown fit
- ZONED MESH VENTILATION – Provides cooling zones for optimal thermoregulation
- ZONED STRENGTH - High tenacity, stretch material, for lightweight lockdown strength.
- CUT FOR MOBILITY – Four-way stretch, hydrophobic materials enable range of motion wet or dry.
- STRETCH TWILL NUMBERS – Four-way stretch even on numbering system
- CUSTOMIZABLE BASELAYER PADDING – Nike Pro Combat Hyperstrong baselayer with integrated lightweight, Deflex padding offering customizable flexible protection.
- DEFLEX PADDING - Lightweight, flexible impact protection integrated into top “hit zone” areas
- ALUMINUM D-RING BELT - Aircraft-grade aluminum D-ring belt reduces weight.
The new Seahawks uniforms changed to a deeper shade of dark blue, neon green highlights throughout, and an alternate uniform in a shade of gray.
The core uniform design looks back at Northwest tradition and culture with a Native American heritage.
|The new color of the helmet with Native American pattern|
The new uniform colors are excellent, but again, the explanation is a bit much. According to the the Seahawks and Nike the colors are, "rooted in Seattle’s own environmental hues the deep blue of the ocean water that tucks into the harbor near downtown and the Seahawks’ stadium. The Action Green represents the green of the ubiquitous trees, ferns, and moss literally covering the Pacific Northwest landscape.
Again, according to the release, "This brighter shade of green is designed to provide a pop of color on the uniform just as the vibrant bright greens pop in the rain-soaked environment." Please.
More, "The Wolf Grey color accents complete the combination, an embodiment of the ever-changing clouds overhead that bring rain and life to the area. Lastly, bright white accents the uniform just as the snow-capped peaks of the Olympic and Mt. Rainier accent the skyline around Seattle."
The thing we like least is the numerals. And they, too, are said to be of native influence being "shaped with the same straights edges and curves as the stoic hawks that reign atop the tallest totem poles."
Dr. Evil is now saying, "Riiiiight".
Additionally, there are multiple references to the "12th man" a reference to the Seattle fans.
“Seattle has the hottest uniform right now,” Saints running back Pierre Thomas said. “So I’m a little jealous. But I still love my all black. I think it looks nice.”
Picture credits: Seahawks website:
We are assuming these will be the home uniforms.
|Navy over navy|
|White over white|
|Gray over gray|
This one is solid.
|White over gray|
|Navy over white|
|White over navy|
|Navy over gray|
|Gray over navy|