Friday, July 31, 2026

Remembering Jim Anderson and the Oorang Indians

LOOKING BACK 
By Chris Willis, NFL Films

Jim Anderson, 2000 NFL Films Interview 
Today PFJ looks back at the life of Jim Anderson. Late last year on November 6, 2025, Anderson passed away peacefully at a hospital in Marion, Ohio. He was 79 years old. Who was Jim Anderson? Glad you asked. For nearly fifty years he was the keepers of the flame for the Oorang Indians.

Jim Anderson was a native of La Rue, Ohio the small town that was the home of the Oorang Indians, the all-native team that was led by player-coach Jim Thorpe in 1922-1923. Over his entire lifetime Anderson became obsessed with the Oorang Indians, Jim Thorpe, Walter Lingo and anything to do with the Oorang Kennels.

Even after he graduated from Elgin (OH) High School and won a Purple Heart while serving for the United States Army in Vietnam, Anderson’s love for his hometown of La Rue and the history that went on there was always on his mind.

He was committed and passionate about preserving the history of the team, its players and the Oorang dog kennel that sponsored the team. He would pass on this knowledge of the team to anybody that would listen or to any visitor to La Rue who was seeking this information. I was one of these fortunate researchers.

Because of my role at NFL Films, I crossed paths with Jim Anderson several times.

I was fortunate enough to interview Anderson twice. The first time came back in June of 2000. I was doing research on the Oorang Indians and came across a former La Rue high school football player, William Guthery, who actually practiced with the Indians on the same field in LaRue. I set up an interview with Mr. Guthery and Bob Lingo, the son of Walter Lingo who owned the Oorang Kennels. During my research I was told I had to also interview Jim Anderson, he was the town’s historian and knew everything about the topics I wanted to ask about.

After our interview Anderson took me and the group on a tour of the small town. He knew La Rue like the back of his hand. These tours would be called the “Oorang Walk.” After I got back home to New Jersey he sent me a certificate to honor that walk around La Rue. After 25 years I still have that keepsake from my first trip to La Rue. 


Over the years after that first meeting, I kept in contact with Jim. Usually asking him any Oorang questions I had or to hear about the going-ons in La Rue. He would keep me updated on anything, especially the yearly town celebration called the Oorang Bang. (Started in 1980) each year the town would celebrate the team and the dog kennel. Jim would play a big part in this celebration since its inception. Every year he and his loving wife Bev would put up a display of Oorang Indians memorabilia and photos for guests to see. He loved to meet town folks, visitors and media people during these celebrations. Many times, his picture would be featured in newspapers around Ohio recapping the festival.

In La Rue, Jim Anderson and his wife Bev, show off 
Oorang collection for Oorang Bang, circa 1982

Jim Anderson displaying his Oorang collection (1988) 

Then in 2014 I had just finished a book project and was looking for my next idea. My thoughts came back to the Oorang Indians, Jim Thorpe, Walter Lingo and the dog kennels. My publisher liked the idea and I was off to do research. I reached out to Bob Lingo, the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the Cumberland County Historical Society. But my first call was to Jim Anderson. I told him about my book project. He was very excited and wanted to help. So, I made another trip to LaRue to spend some time with the expert on the Oorang Indians.

I ended up spending two days with Jim talking about the team, the town, the people. I interviewed him for two hours and then we spent time going through his Oorang collection which has tons of great material including letters, photos, advertisements, a pennant, football, and many other helpful collectibles.

Oorang Indians Pennant, Jim Anderson Collection

The following day Jim took me on a tour of the town. Another Oorang Walk. We visited the Lingo family home at 151 School Street. The home is still there with the last remains of the dog kennels out back with three garages. Jim took us inside to tour the home, then we look inside the garages to see the dog kennels.

After that we visited the location of the Ohio Historical Marker which sits at the old field where the Oorang Indians held their practices. Then we went out to La Rue Cemetery where Walter Lingo was buried. I have never forgotten that tour and the time that Jim spent showing me around. His interview and tour made my book on the Oorang Indians much better than if I never visited him.

Once the book came out (2017) I was able to do a book event at the Marion (OH) Public Library. The event was well attended but what made it very special with the appearance of Jim Anderson. He brought some of his collection to display and we were able to chat before and after the event. 

Marion Public Library, Oorang Indians Book Event
Jim Anderson (purple) talking to author Chris Willis

“Oh my gosh, I think it’s absolutely awesome,” said Anderson to the Marion Star. “What he has done has generated more interest than I’ve ever heard or could have even imagined. He’s a very vibrant guy and I love his research.” He was always very supportive of my writing, and I can honestly say that it meant a lot to me that he did.

Jim Anderson was responsible for keeping the memory of the Oorang Indians, Jim Thorpe, Walter Lingo and the Oorang kennels in La Rue more than anybody I know. For the past 25-years I’ve been honored to know Jim Anderson. But I feel even more honored to call him my friend. I miss you, Jim. 

Jim Anderson (right) with Oorang Indians author Chris Willis
2012 standing next to remains of Oorang Kennels in La Rue, Ohio 

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Chris! Hope Jim's collection and files have found good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff! The family told me the collection will stay in La Rue at La Rue Archives (located with Mayor's office).

    ReplyDelete