Sunday, December 24, 2023

Predictions for Hall of Fame Class of 2024 Final 15

By John Turney 
Next week the Pro Football Hall of Fame will announce the finalists for the Class of 2024. They will be debated in a Zoom call in January and the guys that will get Gold Jackets will come out of that meeting.

These are by guesses for the Final 15.

In my opinion, the first twelve are predictable -- they are the ones who were on last year's Fina l15 plus strong first-ballot guys who are new to the process this year -- Julius Peppers and Antonio Gates. 
  1. Jared Allen, DE 
  2. Willie Anderson, T 
  3. Jahri Evans, G 
  4. Dwight Freeney, DE 
  5. Antonio Gates, TE 
  6. Devin Hester, Ret
  7. Torry Holt, WR 
  8. Andre Johnson, WR 
  9. Julius Peppers, DE 
  10. Reggie Wayne, WR 
  11. Patrick Willis, LB
  12. Darren Woodson, S
The final three are more difficult but two stand out.

In a December 7th article on the Talk of Fame Two website, I thought Fred Taylor had more buzz than the other runningbacks. All are similarly qualified on paper but for a few years Taylor, it seems to me has gotten the most support in comments by voters in articles and social media. 

So he's my 13th Pick. 

    13. Fred Taylor, RB

Next is the only cornerback on the semifinalist list. It could be just my sense of things but it is my impression that votes will spread their votes among different positions.

    14. Eric Allen, CB

The final pick is the most difficult and I honestly have no idea. The player who got talked about by some voters in the past couple of years, again it's just my perception, is Hines Ward.

What makes it hard for him is the other three wide receivers who will undoubtedly be on the Final 15. Four might be on too many, but he's my pick anyway.

    15. Hines Ward, WR

So, we'll see.

8 comments:

  1. From Brian wolf ...

    Good call John ...

    Taylor probably will get in over Watters but we will see. Would be nice for Ward to make it but Boldin or Steve Smith wouldnt surprise me. Evans should make it at guard but I wouldnt be surprised if he missed this year. Wilfork is another wild card but doubtful with McMichael in the mix.Though Allen might get elected this year, wouldnt surprise me if Freeney jumped ahead to join Peppers ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Smith wouldn't surprise me. Boldin would. I highly doubt Wilfork. One fo the Harrisons wouldn't surprise me. With Rodney Harrison being in the media -- that would not shock me if he were a darkhorse. But stucking with Hines Ward.

      Delete
    2. BW ...

      I guess Rodney Harrison made it to the finals to give more defensive balance but will he take votes from Darren Woodson, who is the next in line?

      Would be weird if Hester got in before Holt, Wayne or Johnson but wont surprise me.

      Class Of 2024 Wishlist

      E Allen
      J Allen
      Peppers
      Gates
      Woodson

      Prediction

      J Allen
      Peppers
      Gates
      Johnson
      Woodson

      Delete
  2. #15.....Hines Ward.....wish/hope you can repost my comments on him from last year (too lazy/disorganized to scroll through on my own), it astonishes me that he's not already been inducted......of all the receivers on that list, he'd be my first selection....# catches, % of catch/target, td's, ypc, Ward matches or exceeds just about everybody else out there, is the most vicious and consistent downfield blocker of any wideout I've ever watched and Big Ben recently suggested that Hines was the heart of those teams......now about Big Daddy......(kidding with that last part given not pertinent to this post.....thanks for the blog and Happy New Year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if he makes Final 15 or not ... to me it seemed like there was some talk about him in the last couple of years. But also possible that 4 WRs of Final 15 is one too many. Anyway, just a guess.

      Delete
    2. BW ...

      Honestly, I would put in Anderson over a wide receiver but he should make the finals if not get elected. I agree on E Allen being the next cornerback but will he get elected? I see Lewis getting elected before him but would like to be surprised.

      Delete
  3. I got 13/15 Missed out on taylor and harrison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent. The last couple are always the hardest.

      Delete